Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
I just got a new Wacom Tablet
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: I just got a new Wacom Tablet
Dolly Black
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
I just got a new Wacom Tablet 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 0
I've always just drawn with pencils/charcoals etc, and I'm trying to learn how to draw digitally but I have no idea what program to use. I want to be able to use layers and different brushes. Does anybody have any suggestions that don't have a huge price tag? I'm super poor lol that wacom cleaned me out.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Re:I just got a new Wacom Tablet 8 Years, 2 Months ago Karma: 57
It depends on what you want to do. If it's straight sketching using the tablet onto the PC, with minimal layers, colours, and flexibility. All the following programs are Freeware as in they're free to download and use.

Note: Make sure you download the right versions for your PC, Windows/Mac, 64/32-bit systems, plus for the right OS too i.e. Windows 7, 8 etc or Linux etc. Some of the following programs only operate in Windows systems or Linux Systems. Some also won't run on a 64-bit system etc.

MyPaint version 1.2 is better than the 1.1 version and is as good as the basic sketching programs supplied with the wacom tablet, which you should have received if you bought one.

You can use those by activating and downloading them, but in my experience they're actually too basic to be very useful.

There are freeware alternatives available like GIMP, but it takes practice to use it. This is what I use primarily to ink my pencil sketches into lineart. It has the best layer support for freeware software, although it is primarily a photo-editing program not for painting. It emulates Photoshop, but takes some getting used too.

Pixia is another OK basic drawing program. I've not used it alot, but it does work with a tablet. It's layer system is confusing as is it's setup. Stuff is everywhere, unlabelled and hard to find and use. Good program, but bad GUI design.

Forget about Krita, it crashes, is buggy, and slower than a snail on Windows systems, since it was developed for use on Linux systems instead.

Inkscape is a vector program. Using shapes and stuff. If you want to create stars and use them in a raster program like GIMP, you create in Inkscape and import them into GIMP. This is what I do for things like Sesshy's crescent moon. OK to use, but can be finnicky, a proper shape-vector program would be easier to use than this one.

Artweaver - Is another freeware program with minimal layer and brush support. GIMP is better but has terrible layer-grouping support, unless you mess with it, also zooming is a bit of a chore. Artweaver is a simpler alternative. OK, but lacks some features. Layer support is present, but confusing. Limited in brushes.

These programs are OK if you don't mind limitations.

Overall of the freeware GIMP is the best option. Is has decent layer support, and colouring palettes, but yeah, takes practice to use.

~ Pyre

P.S - Extra advice.
Invest in a screen protector for your wacom tablet before you use it. Otherwise you'll wear down your nibs in days if you're a heavy-handed sketcher. I bought my wacom tablet 2 years ago now. And I've been using screen protectors since I bought it. Have I used up a single nib?

No.

I still have three spares, plus the first nib that came with the pen. And I use my tablet regularly to boot too. Haven't had to nib change once, and I don't have any wear on the pen nib at all.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/02/20 04:37 By Pyre.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.